Monday, May 7, 2007

This is why I shouldn't be allowed to dance

Friday night I went to a party thrown at a friends house for the 20 April birthdays hanging about in our little community of crazy international students. I was dancing, and there may have been cheap wine coolers involved. And we were about to leave anyways, but I thought, one more dance couldn't hurt.

I have rarely been more wrong. Because about one minute in, my knee dislocated and I fell over. And that was the end of the party.

My friend Tam, while I was freaking out because my tibia was no longer in line with my femur and not underneath my patella, made me straighten my leg and pop it back into place. Someone got me ice. And eventually, I was helped off the ground and slowly hobbled back to my place. Which is where the cheap wine coolers come in because I'm fairly certain that they helped in my mobility that night.

And then I spent the weekend on the couch, with three cushions stacked up for me to elevate my knee (which was about the size of a small bowling ball), bags of frozen peas to keep it cool and my laptop propped on the cushions so I could watch the entire first season of The O.C. I'm a little ashamed of that last bit, but that show is like a religion: opiate of the people.

And that was how I spent my weekend! My knee is better, but stiff. And now only about the size of a softball. OK, maybe a little bigger.

I have a feeling that I'm not going to be going salsa dancing any time soon. Which, by the way, there's a really cool salsa club on Darling Harbour that's free entry on Thursday nights. We went for the first time the night before my knee dislocating.

Moral of the story: NO DANCING.

A small sidenote: my video about living on 40 litres of water for 40 hours is completed and up on the web (which is a little scary for me so please be nice.) You can view it by clicking here.

No comments: