Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Leaves are falling in June

In the Northern Hemisphere it's not uncommon to experience sunny and warm weather in January. You can go to Florida or Cancun and have a sweltering Christmas. So, when I first got here in February, it was a nice change of pace to deal with the very hot Australian summer. I like hot weather. It means I can go to the beach!

Now, even in Florida leaves on trees don't turn colors and crunch on the ground in June. This is weird. Like, Twilight Zone weird. I wear a coat and closed-toed shoes every day. I had to buy gloves! Who wears gloves in June? The space heater is on high every night. I crave hot chocolate. It's winter! In June!

At least it doesn't snow in Sydney. Like ever. Then I'd really be flipping out.

Other than the twilight zone seasons, I've been chugging along. My knee is getting better! I have my last physio (that's Australian for physical therapy) appointment on Friday. I'm walking and running (in short spurts to catch buses that I almost miss because I don't want to get out of bed because it's cold) and doing squats to strengthen all the weakened muscles.

My studies are almost done too. I'm giving a presentation about my internship on Friday for university faculty and then my last day at ActNow is next Wednesday. It's strange. I feel like I'm just getting started and it's already over. I have been very thankful for this semester, though. Easiest finals week yet: no caffeine pills or venti lattes with three extra shots of espresso involved!

I'm going to have three and a half weeks of nothingness to bum around Sydney. I'm pretty excited about it, except everyone is going to start leaving pretty soon. I'm not excited about leaving. Not that I don't want to go home (which surprisingly, I do), but going home means I'm five weeks away from starting my last year of college. How freaky is that?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

very freaky

Fliss and Mike Adventures said...

An expat (orginally from Newcastle, NSW) here in Florida - there is one thing I miss and that is the 4 seasons... I am so sick of the heat... though I was in Australia in January I am ready to head back... take care