Thursday, March 1, 2007

Adventures in finding one's way around

We had a bit of an adventure last Saturday night, trying to find a proper club in which to get our groove on. We started at QVB in the heart of the City, and walked to Chinatown for dinner. After wandering for a bit, we ended up having a really nice dinner at a place where only the patrons spoke English. But the Mongolian beef was amazing, even if they charged us about A$3 per person for white rice.

We had heard that the place to be on Saturday Nights is Oxford St, and being brave Americans (and Japanese and German, as the case may be) we decide to walk. Which really is a good idea. Unless you're wearing the heels I was wearing. Can you say blisters? But I managed to survive most of the night until the very end when I was walking on rough pavement screaming expletives in the hopes it would stop the burning in my feet. Anyhow, we made it to Oxford St. to find that while it really is the place to be, it wasn't exactly what we were looking for (what is electrofunk, anyway?). While we were wandering about, this guy and his mate stops us and asks if we need directions. He was also a North American and said we sounded like recent transplants. He didn't know much about dancing clubs, but could help us out if we were looking for a cool bar (which after walking from Chinatown, a bar wouldn't hurt). So we had a drink with them at a cool place called Velvet.

We did ask around a bit, and found that George St. was really the place to be for our kind of club (in case you were wondering, we were looking for hip-hop music) so after saying good-bye to our bar guides, we hopped a bus (the driver was nice enough to not make us pay because that would've held up traffic) and landed back at Market & George. And you better believe we found a place to be. And paid heavily for it! The cover was a bit pricey but it was cool. A little hip-hop, a little retro, nice and dark and crowded. It was awesome. No joke. Danced for hours. Until my feet felt like they were on fire.

And that was my evening clubbing in the city. It's been a lot more chill this week. Everyone started classes, and so far I've had a grand total of ONE class. My internship interview went well, though. The internship coordinator gave me a lift to the the interview. I've actually been staring at the Sydney public transport website trying to figure out how to get there on my own steam. There's a bus involved, but then I think I have to walk about a kilometre to get to the actual work (which stinks cos I'm lazy). I know that the only way to do it is to just go and find it but it's a little intimidating. And I prefer to be prepared.

Oh, it's Mardi Gras this weekend! We're going into the city for the parade! And the monstrous party they hold afterward. It's one of the largest Mardi Gras in the world (I think it's behind Rio, somewhere in France and of course, New Orleans).

I was going to go to Manly beach today, but they kept on forecasting rain and it's only now starting to get cloudy. Perhaps tomorrow after my SECOND class. But, I got my hair chopped off instead of going to the beach. And I do mean chopped. Oh, the mystery!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Let's see a picture of your new haircut!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for doing all the club research Erin. I got your postcard yesterday! I'm pushing my parents to book a ticket already and we're looking at Monday, May 14 to Monday, May 28 (or somewhere in that window). We found one for about $1100, the cheepest yet, and of course they won't committ yet. Gah! Keep poking around! I miss ya!-Katy