Thursday, March 15, 2007

School Daze

OK, so I'm exhausted. How about you?

I started my internship this week. Which means that my alarm goes off at 6:45 am, and I haul my bum out of bed at 7 am, and then I get on a bus at 8:10 am, and I arrive in Balmain at 9:15 am. I then research all day, with various other fun bits in between, and hop on a bus around 6 pm and depending on the route I take home get back to North Ryde anywhere between 7 pm and 7:30 pm. And this is Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, except that Wednesday I leave the office at 1:45 pm because I have class at 3 pm. But the point is that it's freaking early in the morning and a long commute and we all know how I love being awake before 11 am.

I'm making this sound a lot worse than it is. It's not actually bad at all. In a way, I like getting up and doing something productive. It makes me feel like I'm not completely wasting my limited time here. Do now, sleep when you're dead.

And I like my internship. It's in a really cool suburb that has great Thai food and an amazing strip of shopping. And the bus ride gives me time to keep up with the readings for my two classes. Or, just listen to music on my iPod. Whatever. But please don't get me started on my classes. I sat though a lecture on the history of the computer yesterday for my multimedia class. Which is much better than what I'm sure I will endure on conducting an interview tomorrow. I should've signed up for 20th Century Australian Lit. Or something where I'd be learning something. OK, I shouldn't really say that. Did you know that the first computer took up three levels of a standard city-sized office building? I didn't. And I do need to take the writing class. I just don't want to because while I am capable of reporting I simply dislike to. And I am learning how to code HTML, which I suppose will eventually be useful.

I think I just need to stop being a J-School snob.

So, this weekend is not only every chick named Erin's favorite holiday, but also the 75th birthday of the Sydney Harbour Bridge. It should be a pretty nifty day. The city is closing down the bridge to all traffic. But the thing is, they decided to sell something like 200,000 tickets to walk across it on the birthday and everyone's hacked off about it. I know I am, because I didn't know they were selling tickets and now I can't walk across the bridge on it's birthday. But I am going to go into the City and take lots of pictures. It should be pretty sweet.

We ended up having a huge pasta party last night. We invited a few people over for dinner last night, and ended up with about 15 people in our apartment! And we still have leftovers. But it was a good time. There's a small movement to institute Wednesday Night Dinners. Which would be amazingly fun because 1. big meals are cheaper, and 2. the bar everyone else goes that night stinks. And speaking of food, I found really tasty grapes for A$2.94 per kilo! Which is probably the most bang for the buck I've found around here. Things are expensive. I've been job hunting.

In other news, another one of my roommates is moving out. Apparently walking 10 minutes to class is too much of an inconvenience. Or I smell. Actually, I think Adam smells (he's the roommate who hasn't moved out yet!) So, if we don't get another roommate, it's going to be the two of us in a 4-person apartment, which isn't too bad at all.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sucks about the bridge thing. I am definately feeling the burn out. But, in a week I'll have Spring Break and be done with social studies. Speech/theater instruction comes much more easily to me since its kinda about being natural in your state and stuff like that. Oh, and of course I still can't get a straight answer from my parents. DAMNIT! Can I post that on a blog reply. Anyway, I hope you're at least enjoying the good weather. We keep getting teased with it here. No wonder everyone's sick. Love Ya! -Katy

Erin K. O'Neill said...

Of course you can say DAMNIT on my blog. This is a censorship-free zone. *bisou* Erin

Anonymous said...

YOU NEED TO UPDATE! I mean sheesh! -Katy