Sunday, February 18, 2007

Flatmates, Ants, Tim-tams, etc.

I made it!

I'm having some Internet issues (and a few minor flatmate issues) but other than that, this is so freakin' cool! I went into the city yesterday and it was just as beautiful as I remember. More beautiful, even. Sydney has this amazing blend of modern and traditional architecture, and it's so clean and sunny and wonderful that it doesn't seem like it could possibly be real.

My apartment is all too real, though. It's not horrible. It's got carpet and a washer/dryer and a dish machine and I got the best room with two windows, it's just a little bare. Shawshank, if you will. And I like my flatmates, they're very nice, but they're a little negative about the Aussie experience and they complain about it. If it's not the prices (things are expensive, the Australian dollar is very strong right now!), it's the accents they can't understand, or that they can't find Clorox wipes, or how people look at them funny when they hear them talk, or how hot it is (uh, SUMMER!) or the television programming is horrible and so on and so forth. I'm really hoping that it's the jetlag and a bit of culture shock and they'll get over it. I can't take this for 6 months! It's just such a downer.

I will say that they're right about one thing: we have an ant problem in out kitchen. So, I'm off to buy ant traps. No worries.

It probably doesn't help that I'm super-excited about everything. It feels really natural to be here, even if it still feels like a dream. It's a strange feeling.

So after subsisting on two packets of Tim-Tams and a large bar of Cadbury chocolate with hazelnuts for a day and a half, I bought some real food. OK, happy Mom?

But here's the major bummer: I can't watch Grey's Anatomy online!! I am freaking out! I mean, the third season starts here tonight, but the last episode I watched was a pseudo-cliffhanger (seriously, like Meredith is really going to drown) and this is killing me! But that's really the only thing that's bothersome. Classes start next Monday, and I've got orientation on Friday so I've got a few days to kill bumming around the beaches. And don't think I won't!

No comments: