Tuesday, February 6, 2007

Winter of my discontent

It's cold tonight in Kentucky. I'm leaving for Sydney in a week and am really excited, but mostly shivering because my father won't turn the heating on. I have my passport, my e-tickets, my e-student visa, and even most of my reading material for the trip all set. Now, I just need to pack my bags and get to the airport in Louisville. It's been a tough few months. I'm not going to lie. I've been living at home, and washing dishes in a bar, and pretty much attempting to not go insane. Or freeze, as the case may be.

It looks like I'm going to be interviewing for an internship for Act Now, an Australian website aimed at getting young people involved in their world in general. I'd be a researcher and content for the site. It looks like there's a lot of opportunity to be creative, use multimedia and work on journalistic pieces about things that interest me. I'm pretty excited about it. I think that in the J-school we get a little snotty about where journalism can come from. This could be a great opportunity to craft some awesome, informative journalism from a non-traditional source.

I can't wait to get out of winter. It was so cold tonight that I couldn't get my car to start. Of course, after dragging my dad out of bed to come pick me up at work he started it on the first try. The second I get to Sydney I'm finding a beach with lots of sand and sun and sleeping off the jet lag on it!

No comments: