Tuesday, February 20, 2007

They tell you what way to look

I have a problem that will probably get me killed. I look the wrong way when crossing the street. Like I said, it’s a problem. But the cool thing is, when you go into the City, they have which way to look painted right on the pavement. They’ve thought of everything! It’s a very handy thing.

I had the most amazing day EVER yesterday. One of those days that are so wonderful and perfect that they can’t be real because real life never works out this well. It starts with a mission to find the Opera House. My new friend, Charlotte (please note, all my friends are technically new friends) and I took a bus into the city and got terribly lost after getting off at QVB, which is the Queen Victoria Building when you’re not on public transportation. It’s this old building that they converted into a shopping center. It’s nice. But we were looking for the Opera House and I took us in the wrong direction, so we gave up and decided to go to Bondi Beach.

Turns out that finding the bus stop from where the bus to Bondi leaves from is a bit of a mission. We asked about three people for directions, and in Sydney you really don’t need a map as long as you’re willing to ask locals, and hopped a bus to Bondi. Bondi is awesome. There couldn’t possibly be a better place to body surf, or surf for that matter. I think all the waves were perfect. Charlotte and I met up with Yuki and Fiona, who live across the hall from me in my building. Yuki and I then took up body surfing.

When I first caught a wave, and I mean really catching a wave, not just letting it push me along a bit, It was an amazing feeling. It was exhausting. But so cool and so fun. Yuki said that Japanese people don’t play in the water, they just sit on intertubes and float. I had to teach her to catch waves. She was fascinated by the boogie boards! I missed the ocean and the surf. It was great to be back. Fiona and Charlotte didn’t come in the water, but by around 5 pm the sun had mysteriously disappeared and we decided to head back to the city and actually find the Opera House.

We took a bus to Circular Quay (Quay is pronounced “key” in case you were wondering). It’s as beautiful as I remember. Awesome. Cool. Like I said, I was a bit excited. I don’t know how this could ever get old. Sydney is so surreal and beautiful, but at the same time so grounded and real.

My final flatmate arrived! He goes to the same school as my other two roomies, but he’s cool. We’re watching and poking a bit of fun at Neighbors right now. I think he really likes it! I couldn’t get into it four years ago, so I doubt I really will now. We finally went grocery shopping! We have lots of food! I can even cook tonight. I’m going on the more official City tour tomorrow, which if nothing else will save money on public transportation.

Oh, and I may have crashed a party at one of the residential colleges on campus. I feel like I’ve been stuck in quarantine with a bunch of my own countrymen. It’s like Americaville around here and I wanted to meet some Australians! But I think it’s going to work out. My understanding is that there’s some wicked parties.

In case you haven’t noticed, I like it here.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Erin! I cannot wait to visit you. You must write more. Some of us are hanging on your every word. -Katy

Erin K. O'Neill said...

I'm typing as fast as I can here! What more do you want from me? LOVE YOU KATY!!!

Anonymous said...

Why I Hate You

As I was perfectly happy today living my life vicariously through your words and pictures, I came to a sudden realization. I hate you. What have you done that makes you special to have a never-ending vacation in Austrailia.

Granted, you were a good friend to me. And you love the Daily Show and Colbert Report. And honestly, you could never shut up about your first time in Austrailia... but come on! Don't I deserve it, too?

So here's the deal. Your going to cut a bald spot in your hair and I'm going to buy some really high platform shoes and we are going to switch places in a just a couple of weeks. You can take my capstone class with the bitch that just won't quit. And I'll lie out on the beach with the Sydney Opera House photogenically placed just above my right shoulder.

Deal?!

I miss you!

- Justin

Erin K. O'Neill said...

Justin, if you even touch my hair I swear to GOD I will kill you. And this vacation is not ever-ending. I have class on Wednesday.